CBT @thepalincentre via Zoom (8th,15th,24th May 2024)
Please note: this training is online via Zoom. This course is over Two Wednesdays and One Friday. Please make sure you can attend all three days before booking.
This course provides an introduction to CBT and its application to work with children and adults who stammer, and other clients with communication difficulties which impact on their psychological wellbeing.
Who is this suitable for?
Qualified speech and language therapists. This course is best suited to therapists who have already completed either the MPC working with 7-14s, or 14-18s course, or have an equivalent level of experience and/or training.
What’s in it for Participants?
- Learn how to use CBT to explore the psychological impact of stammering, and support clients to develop ways of coping.
- Know more about the cognitive model and how this relates to the experience of people who stammer.
- Learn ways to support clients through a process of ‘psychoeducation’; understanding more about how their thoughts and feelings influence their behaviour.
- Explore how to use CBT creatively and accessibly with younger clients, those with other needs and parents.
At the end of the course participants will be familiar with:
- core theory and principles of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy;
- a generic cognitive model, cognitive models of social anxiety, and a systemic cognitive model;
- the levels of cognitions which are targeted in cognitive therapy, including negative automatic thoughts (NATs), underlying assumptions and beliefs;
- the principle of using questions to guide clients’ exploration of their thinking patterns and encourage more helpful self-talk;
- the purpose of adding behavioural experiments into therapy and how to get the most out of behavioural experiments.
Day 1: Theory and introducing Negative Automatic Thoughts (NATs)
- Overview of the principles of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and information processing theory;
- Overview of a generic cognitive model, cognitive models of anxiety and social anxiety and a systemic cognitive model for family or couples work;
- Adapting CBT for younger children and their families;
- Using creativity in work with children and adolescents;
- Experiential work: introducing the generic model to clients and beginning case formulation;
- Identifying NATs; and
- Experiential work: identifying NATs.
Day 2: Working with NATs
- Cognitive case formulation;
- Overview of Socratic questioning;
- Experiential work: working with NATs; and
- Working with children and younger adolescents on developing more flexible thinking, helpful self-talk and coping skills.
Day 3: Setting up successful behavioural experiments
- How to use behavioural experiments effectively in therapy;
- Examples of behavioural experiments, across age ranges and including with younger children, that are relevant to stammering;
- Experiential work: setting up and reviewing behavioural experiments;
- The role of underlying assumptions and beliefs: helping you and your clients understand how their problems have evolved; and
- Planning for the future: use of action plans to promote self-help.
Feedback from others:
“The presenter has a fantastic way of imparting knowledge using a combination of teaching and demonstrating with practical examples/videos/roleplays.”
“Everything about the course was so useful and I feel it has a much wider application,
not just in my clinical role but for my own personal and professional development.”
“The presenter was very professional, competent and calm and knowledgeable. There was a good mix of activities and days were broken up well.”
“It was all very inspiring!”
“I’ve gained lots of knowledge, information and confidence.”
“It gave me a strong theoretical foundation, up to date, and great video examples.”
Please read our booking terms and conditions before booking. If you are booking this training for someone else, please ensure they are aware of the information in the terms and conditions, primarily the cancellation policy.
If you would like to pay for your course by invoice an administration fee of £20 per person will be added to the course fee. Please add this additional £20 onto your form when you select to pay by invoice e.g. cost of course: £435.
DISCOUNTS available for group bookings (20+ participants) Email: [email protected] for more info.
|Standard CBT (invoice payment)
|Pay by invoice