Who can I talk to?

We know that sometimes it’s really tough having a stammer and it can feel as though no-one understands.  If you’re having a tough time at the moment it’s important to talk to someone because you can get help.

We’ve put some phone numbers on this page that you can ring to talk to someone who knows about stammering. But you might just want to talk to one of your parents, or your teacher.

If you can, let someone know that your stammering is bothering you so that they can do something to help.

Talk with a parent, a friend, your speech and language therapist or your teacher

  • Try telling them what it’s like for you. Even though they know you well they may not understand what it’s like for you having a stammer.
  • Tell them what it’s like on the inside (what you worry about or how you feel).
  • Let them know if you want help.

Call the Michael Palin Centre helpline – 020 3316 8100

  • You will be told the times when a therapist will be available.
  • Say if it’s really urgent so that you can speak to someone right away if you need to.

Call the Stamma helpline or talk to them on webchat

0808 802 0002 (Monday – Friday 10am- 12 noon, 6pm-8pm).


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to

Our Helpline, 020 3316 8100, is open during office hours (9am-5pm) and voicemail messages can be left when the office is closed.

“I really appreciated watching videos of therapists in action and having the opportunity to shadow experienced clinicians.”


Would you like to become a 'Friend of the Michael Palin Centre' and receive our newsletter?

* indicates required
SLTs/SLPs or other professionals please tick this box to receive information about our professional training programmes
Translate »