Integrating Fluency Approaches @thepalincentre
This is a 2-day course exploring direct speech work with children and young people who stammer (CWS).
Who is this workshop suitable for?:
It is strongly recommended that participants have already attended one of our core courses in the general management of stammering (i.e. a Palin PCI, Supporting 8 to 14s who stammer, or Working with 14 to 18s). This will ensure that the direct approaches are set in the wider therapy context. If you only work with children under 7 it is possible to attend day one only if preferred (please state this on your application form).
What’s in it for participants:
- Feel equipped with a range of strategies across the ages, and know how to select appropriate approaches for individual clients.
- Greater awareness of the guiding principles as to if and/or when to introduce direct speech strategies.
- Opportunities to discuss advantages and disadvantages of direct work.
- Consider how to talk to clients and their families about the rationale for doing (or not doing) direct work, and managing expectations.
- Learn more about supporting generalisation outside of therapy sessions.
- Knowledge of a range of holistic outcome measures and consideration of how clients experience therapy.
What’s in it for Speech and Language Therapy services/ managers?
- Complex clients may be more frequently able to be supported locally.
- Referrals to MPC can be reserved for the most complex of cases.
- Specialist therapists can provide supervision and advice to less experienced colleagues.
What Others have said:
“I’ve gained a greater understanding of rationale for direct versus indirect input”
“It really helped me to focus on thinking about what the child needs.”
“I’ve learned lots of different approaches, not just one.”
“I’m much less scared about direct work now I have seen and practised the techniques.”
“I’m confident in going forward.”
Please read our booking terms and conditions before booking.
|Standard Integrating Fluency Approaches||£200|