Refer to the MPC


The Michael Palin Centre provides a number of different routes to speech and language therapy services. The options available will depend upon age, location and whether or not the assessment will be funded.

In this section, you can read about making a referral to the Michael Palin Centre and find the form you need.

Refer your child to your local Speech and Language Therapy service first

Most children in the UK can access therapy from their local speech and language therapy service, and this is the best place to start. Use a search engine and search for ‘NHS speech and language therapy services for children’ in your area. Contact them and ask how to refer your child to them. While you are waiting to be seen you might like to look at our parents’ page for some ways to support your child. 

For families who live in Camden, Islington and Newham (7-18s) can refer themselves.

For families who live elsewhere in the UK you need to ask your local SLT to refer your child to attend the MPC for an assessment (and we will invite your local SLT to attend with you). After the assessment we can agree recommendations with your local SLT, this might mean we agree a therapy plan for your local SLT to carry out, or in specific circumstances, we can work with your local SLT to access funding to attend therapy at the MPC. We are only able to offer therapy if commissioners in your local area agree to fund it, or if you are in a position to fund therapy privately.

Refer your child to the Michael Palin Centre

If you still wish to refer to the MPC there are several options available.  

  • Refer my child (Camden or Islington resident – all ages; Newham resident – 7 to 18 years)
  • Refer a child who has an NHS SLT
  • Refer a child who has an independent (private) SLT
  • GP referrals
  • Refer my child for a private assessment (includes non-UK residents)
  • Refer myself  (adults in Camden and Islington)
  • Refer myself (adults living elsewhere in London or the UK)

If you are having trouble with getting some help for your child via your local service or GP, please call our helpline on 020 3316 8100. Please note when you make a referral, please check your emails (including your Junk folder) for emails from us.


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to

Our Helpline, 020 3316 8100, is open during office hours (9am-5pm) and voicemail messages can be left when the office is closed.

“It was really helpful with my talking.”


I would like to become a friend of the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering and receive emails with news and information about the Centre and fundraising events.

* indicates required
I’m also happy for the Michael Palin Centre to call me occasionally about supporting the Centre’s work.
Charitable donations to the Michael Palin Centre are administered by The Whittington Health Charity, Registered Charity Number 1056452 For this purpose alone, The Whittington Health Charity will also hold your details. We take your privacy seriously and will never sell or swap your details with other third parties. You can withdraw your consent to be contacted at any time by calling 020 3316 8100 or by emailing [email protected] Information about how the Trust protects personal data is set out in our privacy policy.
Translate »