Who can I talk to?

Do you want to talk to someone about getting help?

Do you feel that you’re not coping?

Talk to your GP

Make an appointment and tell them if you are wanting help. Remember to tell them about how stammering affects you in terms of your thoughts, feelings and ability to communicate in everyday situations, as they may not be aware of how this can be for someone who stammers.

It is especially important to talk to your GP if you feel that you’re not coping.

The Michael Palin Centre

Call the Michael Palin Centre if you live in Camden or Islington on 020 3316 8100

Speak with a specialist speech and language therapist


Call the Stamma helpline on 0208 802 0002 (Freephone)

Every weekday 10am-12noon and 6pm-8pm

Or email: [email protected]


How long will I have to wait for an appointment?

We aim to contact new clients within three weeks. At that time we can give an estimation of how long the wait for an actual assessment appointment will be.

How long will my appointment last?

Your assessment will last for approximately 2 hours. You will be sent some questionnaires beforehand for you to fill out and bring them with you. If you need help filling them out then you can bring them with you to your appointment and your therapist will help you.

What will happen in my assessment?

Your therapist will ask you about your experience of stammering, how it impacts on various aspects of your life, and what you are hoping to achieve if you decide to start therapy. Your therapist will ask you to do some reading and talking while being video-recorded and may ask you to fill in some additional questionnaires.

You and your therapist will talk about the key factors relevant to understanding your stammer and how it impacts on you, and also about therapy options. You may have a sense of what you would like to do straight away, however it will be ok if you want to take some time to think it over. If you are attending as a private client then you will also be given more information, if needed, about the fees for therapy.

What do I do if I need an interpreter?

Make sure you say on your referral form that you would like an interpreter to help. We cannot guarantee an interpreter but we make every effort to provide one for NHS clients.

Can I get help for cluttering?

Yes. Many people who stammer also have features of cluttering in their speech. Therapy is tailored to your needs.


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to


Sometimes you just need someone to talk to

Our Helpline, 020 3316 8100, is open during office hours (9am-5pm) and voicemail messages can be left when the office is closed.

“I know who to talk to if I need more help.”


I would like to become a friend of the Michael Palin Centre for Stammering and receive emails with news and information about the Centre and fundraising events.

* indicates required
I’m also happy for the Michael Palin Centre to call me occasionally about supporting the Centre’s work.
Charitable donations to the Michael Palin Centre are administered by The Whittington Health Charity, Registered Charity Number 1056452 For this purpose alone, The Whittington Health Charity will also hold your details. We take your privacy seriously and will never sell or swap your details with other third parties. You can withdraw your consent to be contacted at any time by calling 020 3316 8100 or by emailing [email protected] Information about how the Trust protects personal data is set out in our privacy policy.
Translate »